AGU’s strategic plan sets the direction for the organization and drives the work of the Board, Council, other volunteers and staff. The strategic plan was developed by members and approved in 2010. Each Board and Council agenda item is linked to the strategic plan, and the strategic plan is supported by AGU’s annual budget and operating plan approved by the Board of Directors.
AGU’s strategic plan includes our mission and core values, our vision and envisioned future, and four strategic goals, supported by 28 strategic objectives. In 2010, member and staff leaders identified the eight top priority objectives of the plan.
3-5 Year Outcome-Oriented Goals
Scientific Leadership and Collaboration
The American Geophysical Union is a leader, collaborator and sought after partner for scientific innovation, rigor and interdisciplinary focus on global issues.
- Transform the future of AGU’s scientific publishing in an evolving marketplace.
- Articulate our communications, partnerships and collaborations to position AGU and its science appropriately in the emerging landscape of societal needs.
- Develop strategies for collaboration (joint meetings and publications) with other learned societies and develop a plan that enhances the quality of all scientific communications.
- Develop an interface between our science and that of other disciplines — including engineering, public policy, global governance — to best inform decision making.
- Strengthen AGU’s ability to operate in an interdisciplinary manner.
- Empower and enable AGU scientists to undertake interdisciplinary research to address key societal issues.
Science and Society
The American Geophysical Union engages members, shapes policy, and informs society about the excitement of Earth and space science and its role in developing solutions for the sustainability of the planet.
- Expand training, recognition and reward of AGU scientists for excellence in communicating science to nonscience audiences.
- Develop mechanisms to support interdisciplinary collaboration among members.
- Increase awareness of the importance of Earth and space science issues for nonscience audiences.
- Increase effectiveness and recognition of AGU among decision makers as an authoritative source of integrated, interdisciplinary Earth and space science information.
- Increase awareness of the reality and consequences of global climate change among scientists and the public.
- Increase the role of Earth sciences in informing policy and mitigating impacts of natural disasters.
- Raise awareness of natural resource limitations and increase the application of (AGU) Earth sciences in developing solutions for the sustainability of the planet.
The American Geophysical Union is a diverse and inclusive organization that uses its position to build the global talent pool in Earth and space science.
- Increase our understanding of the real barriers to gender and ethnic diversity and involvement within AGU and within Earth and space science.
- Enhance engagement and involvement in AGU of students and early career scientists.
- Identify career alternatives within Earth and space science and subsequent career paths available.
- Enhance mutual support and networking opportunities for students and early career scientists.
- Increase participation of underrepresented populations.
As a scientific society, the American Geophysical Union operates within a new business model that is sustainable, transparent, and inclusive in ways that are responsive to members and stakeholders.
- Increase awareness among members about AGU’s full scope of activities and opportunities and that AGU is more than meetings and publications.
- Expand sources of revenue outside the current publications and meetings model.
- Enhance existing revenue sources.
- Optimize effectiveness (capacity) of technology and technology resources.
- Optimize expenditures and operations in programs.
- Improve responsiveness to members.
- Increase transparency of governance, finance and operations.
- Improve governance effectiveness, efficiency and visibility.
- Increase environmental sustainability of operations.
- Enhance diversity and inclusiveness.